Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Traveling solo can be fun

Traveling solo is not just about woes and worries. i do enjoy the freedom that comes with it. here's why you shouldn't shy away from planning a trip on your own:

it's a wonderful and liberating feeling to be absolutely on my own. specially in asian societies, when we live with families, there's hardly any time or space for ourselves. plus there are social expectations as to how i should dress, talk, behave! when i am traveling alone, i can let go of all inhibitions and expectations, do things i would not have done in my home country. the sense of absolute freedom is sweet!

it's easy to get lost in the crowd and knowing the people i meet does not know me and probably won't remember me after that day, i can be whoever i want to be. being anonymous and incognito is fun.

it gives me a sense of satisfaction when i have organized and successfully completed a trip on my own. i give myself mental kudos for finding out great deals, a nice spot or figuring out how to go about in a new city. it's a great confidence booster for me. and with each trip, i feel more confident.

i travel on a tight budget and being on my own lets me make the choices and decisions regarding food, accommodation, travel mode etc. i don't have to feel embarrassed or hesitant before choosing a place, as i have only myself to please.

i can set my own itinerary and adjust the agenda to my liking and strength. it's difficult to come across people with identical taste and liking. as i have limited time and resource, i want to make the most of every moment. being alone means: i get to choose what to visit, no waiting time, wake up as early or as late as i like. i am a slow walker and being on a group tour thus is extremely stressful for me both physically and mentally. i struggle to keep pace. i love when i can travel on my own pace. take rest and breathers as frequently as i want to.

last year i took a coach tour in europe and decided never to do it again. we were a group of around 27 people and although a large group meant i wasn't lonely, i felt i missed out a lot of good things as well. being in a group means i have to be a typical tourist. running to make the itinerary set by the tour guide. of course this is just one bad experience. i am sure there are loads of great tours out there which you can customize. but i felt i am better left alone. let me set my own agenda and make my own way.

i think traveling alone has made me more open and independent. i can strike conversation with strangers and bring back loads of stories to share at home. can't wait for my next trip!

2 comments:

Shawkat said...

I would always prefer to travel solo if I want to enjoy the place and the surroundings; traveling in group is appealing to me only when the main purpose is to interact within the group rather than seeing places.

Moutushi Kabir said...

i prefer having at least one person with me, to share. the company needs to be likeminded and someone i enjoy spending time with. traveling with a group who has nothing in common can get uneasy and stressful.

Post a Comment